Carrot Cake Recipe Ingredients for an 8″ (20cm) deep round tin
- carrots 13oz (350g)
- salted butter 9oz (250g)
- golden caster sugar 9oz (250g)
- Large eggs 4
- self-raising flour 6oz (175g)
- bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp
- mixed spice 1 tsp
- salt pinch
- wholemeal self raising flour 80z (175g)
- orange zest & juice 1
- Bake for approx 1.5/2 hrs
Cream Cheese Frosting (filling)
- Salted butter 3oz (75g)
- cream cheese 3oz (75g)
- icing sugar 5oz (150g)
- Preheat oven to Gas 4/180 oC/350 oC. Grease & line tin.
- Peel & grate the carrots, weigh grated amount.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, beat in the eggs, then fold in the sieved self-raising flour, salt, bicarb and spice, followed by the wholemeal self-raising flour.
- Add the grated carrot & orange zest and enough orange juice to make a dropping consistency.
- Put in prepared tin, level and bake for required time. Insert skewer to test if cooked, should be firm to the touch & golden brown. Cooking time can vary depending on moistness of carrot.
- Leave until completely cold, slice & fill with cream cheese frosting.
If covering in sugarpaste coat in buttercream first or cover all over with cream cheese frosting if you want a more rustic look, and dress with fresh fruit or flowers.