Madeira cake recipe Ingredients for 8″/20cm round deep tin
- Salted Butter 8 0z (225g)
- Caster Sugar 8 oz (225g)
- Eggs (large) 5
- Self-Raising Flour 8 oz (225g)
- Plain Flour 4 oz (225g)
- Lemon Juice 1 1/2 tbsp
- Bake for approx 1 1/4 hrs
- Preheat oven Gas 3/160 oC. Grease & double line tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter & sugar together until light & fluffy and pale in colour. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, following each one with a spoonful of the sifted mixed flours.
- Fold in remainder of sifted flour, followed by the lemon juice.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake in the oven for the time given or until well risen, firm to the touch & golden brown. Surface cracks will appear on the top. Test with skewer to ensure cooked.
This Wedding Cake had a madeira top cake, filled with buttercream & jam, which was iced in sugarpaste & decorated with sugarcraft roses. This is a firm sponge & good for decorating, however it can be a little dry so I always brush each layer with a vanilla sugar syrup to make it more moist.