Rich Chocolate Cake Recipe Ingredients 8″ round tin (Round PME Cake Tin 203 x 76mm (8 x 3″)
- Eggs (large) 6
- Plain Chocolate 225g (8 oz)
- Salted Butter 175g (6 oz)
- Caster Sugar 120g (4 oz)
- Self-Raising Flour 175g (6 oz)
- Icing Sugar 60g (2oz)
- Baking Times Approx 1 1/4 hrs
- Preheat oven to Gas 3/165 oC. Grease & line the tin. Separate the eggs.
- Melt the chocolate. Cream the butter & sugar together in a mixing bowl, beat in the egg yolks & then the chocolate.
- Set the mixer to a slow speed & fold in the sifted flour.
- Scrape the chocolate mixture into a spare bowl. Wash & dry the mixing bowl, making sure it is grease free.
- Place the egg whites in the clean bowl & whisk into stiff peaks. Gently whisk in the sifted icing sugar.
- Slowly mix the chocolate mixture into the egg whites. Pour into the tin. Bake immediately. A crust may form on top when ready, insert a skewer to test if cake cooked. Should come out clean.
- Leave to cool then slice into 3 even layers & fill with buttercream or filling of your choice.
This picture shows the Chocolate Cake filled & covered in ganache with hand rolled Belgian Chocolate Curls, dressed in strawberries & redcurrents.