Sponge Cake Recipe Ingredients for 8″(20cm) round deep tin
- salted butter 10oz (275g)
- caster sugar 10oz (275g)
- Large eggs 5
- self-raising flour 10oz (275g)
- cocoa powder for choc version 20z (50g)
- Bake for approx 1 hr
- Preheat over to Gas 4/180 oC/350 oF. Grease & line tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat softened butter & caster sugar together until light & fluffy.
- Lightly mix the eggs together & gradually beat into the mixture. If starts to slightly curdle add some flour with the eggs.
- If making a chocolate sponge, mix the cocoa powder with a little water to form a paste and add to the mixture.
- Add the sifted flour and gently mix.
- Place into tin, level top and bake in centre of oven.
- Test cooked with skewer, should come out clean. Leave to cool in tin, then turn onto wired rack or just greaseproof paper.
When completely cold cut into three equal layers and fill with buttercream filling, or other flavoured filling of your choice. Coat outside with buttercream and cover with sugarpaste.
This cake has been covered in white chocolate paste and decorated with white maltesers, ideal to serve as desert cake.